Monday, July 02, 2007

The Clearance Aisle

"Would you like another?"

"No thanks, I'll stop at two tonight. It looks like I'll be driving myself home as it is."

"Date a no show?"

"Oh, I'm sure he'll show, but I doubt I'll be here by that time."

"Well, enjoy the band at least, they're actually pretty good."

"Why do you think I've waited?"

My fourth date in as many weeks and this one can't even show up on time. No one ever told me 28 was the year you became an old maid. Mom stopped asking when I would get married six months ago. Carl and Sunshine assume I can watch the kids for them since 'I'm not seeing anyone.' Maybe I should move into Houston. Some distance would be nice and it's good to meet new people. People who don't know I farted during my fourth grade Christmas solo.

What would it accomplish in reality though? 20 miles isn't all that far. Especially when someone decides it's life or death for you to be there helping drink coffee and gossip. Pointless shit. That's all it is. This town, the family "crises." Pointless.

"If you see a paunchy redneck looking lost will you tell him I left?"

"That's half the bar Hope, can you be more specific?"

"Nah, his loss."

No comments: